top of page

What is an IDP?

An International Driver's Permit (IDP) is a booklet that translates your domestic government-issued driver's license into multiple languages, allowing you to drive and rent cars in foreign countries. It is a proof that you hold a valid domestic driver's license. However, you must carry both documents together.

What do you need to apply for an IDP?

You must be at least 18 years old and have the following:

  1. A valid domestic government-issued driver's license.       *Restrictions apply.

  2. A recent passport size photo (it will be shown in your IDP).

  3. Application and translation fee (can be paid via debit/credit card/local payment methods). You can apply now for US$12.99 only.


How does an IDP work?

The translation on the IDP is intended to minimize language barriers when you drive in countries where the language of your original driver's license is not widely spoken or understood. That is all what an IDP does. It is not a substitute for a valid, government-issued license and it can’t be used to replace a suspended or revoked license or as a government-issued identification document.


Some local operators might falsely claim that their documents:

  • Can be used alone as a driver's license and authorize people to drive in foreign countries even if the driver doesn't hold an original government-issued license or if their original government-issued license has been suspended or revoked;

  • Can be used as a legal photo ID.


The IDP is not an ID document nor a government-issued driver's license. You need to present your original government-issued license along with your IDP.

What do you need to drive abroad?

You are required to have your domestic government-issued driver's license and an International Driver's Permit, which is a translation of your license in multiple UN-recognized languages. It can also assist you when dealing with car rental companies and local authorities.

bottom of page